Port Houston offers internships in various departments, giving interns a full scope of how a successful institution works. If you want to learn more about what makes Houston grow and gain a hands-on experience in your profession, this opportunity is for you!
To move the world and drive regional prosperity.
America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Respect, Excellence, Accountability. Diligence, You.
Internship Program Goals
- To allow students to apply, evaluate, test and integrate academic knowledge and theoretical concepts in a work setting.
- To encourage students to take a greater responsibility for their education and life, and develop self-reliance, personal style, values and beliefs in a manner consistent with becoming a responsible and productive individual.
- To provide students with experience in the disciplined and discriminatory use of evidence in making decisions and solving problems in a work setting.
- To develop and expand students’ knowledge about themselves and their abilities, goals, and career interests in a work setting.
- To allow students to gain access to knowledge and equipment not available on a college campus.
- To expand students’ awareness of the world beyond the campus by exposure to a variety of careers, disciplines, life styles and environments.
The student application process takes place from mid November through March.
The port supports academic credit when applicable. If the student is eligible for academic credit, the Human Resources Department will work with the academic advisor to ensure credit is given.
Students must have already started and completed two semesters in an undergraduate Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree program with 2019/2020 graduation status preferred. Graduate-level students are not eligible, nor are students who graduate in May 2018
Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 is preferred.
Students may not be related to any current Port of Houston Authority employee
Students must either attend a Houston area college/university or have a permanent residence within a commutable distance
Students must be able to work throughout the established twelve-week (12) program dates