An internship, as defined by the Port Houston Internship Program, is a structured academic opportunity that allows students to apply academic skills and knowledge in the workplace. Experiential education that is based on a set of learning objectives helps students to prepare to meet career responsibilities after graduation. The goals of our paid program are:
- To allow students to apply, evaluate, test and integrate academic knowledge and theoretical concepts in a work setting.
- To develop and expand students’ knowledge about themselves and their abilities, goals, and career interests in a work setting.
- To expand students’ awareness of the world beyond the campus by exposure to a variety of careers, disciplines, life styles and environments.
- To allow students to gain access to knowledge and equipment not available on a college campus.
- To encourage students to take a greater responsibility for their education and life, and develop self-reliance, personal style, values and beliefs in a manner consistent with becoming a responsible and productive individual.
- To provide students with experience in the disciplined and discriminatory use of evidence in making decisions and solving problems in a work setting.
- The internship is a 12-week program typically running from mid-May to mid-August.
- The student application process takes place from mid-November through the first week of March. Please check our Careers Application Portal page for openings and apply within the system.
- Students must have already started and completed two semesters in an undergraduate Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree program. Recent college graduates and graduate-level students will be considered only if there is not an eligible undergraduate student available.
- Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 is preferred.
- Students cannot be related to current employees of Port Houston.
The port supports academic credit when applicable. If the student is eligible for academic credit, the Human Resources Department will work with the academic advisor to ensure credit is given.