Notice: Due to ongoing concerns surrounding COVID-19, Port Houston has made the difficult decision to suspend our 2020 summer internship program. We pride ourselves on providing a valuable and practical learning environment for students and the current situation doesn’t ensure this environment. We look forward to returning our program in 2021.
Port Houston offers internships in various departments, giving interns a full scope of how a successful institution works. If you want to learn more about what makes Houston grow and gain a hands-on experience in your profession, this opportunity is for you!
To move the world and drive regional prosperity.
America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Respect, Excellence, Accountability. Diligence, You.
Internship Program Goals
- To allow students to apply, evaluate, test and integrate academic knowledge and theoretical concepts in a work setting.
- To encourage students to take a greater responsibility for their education and life, and develop self-reliance, personal style, values and beliefs in a manner consistent with becoming a responsible and productive individual.
- To provide students with experience in the disciplined and discriminatory use of evidence in making decisions and solving problems in a work setting.
- To develop and expand students’ knowledge about themselves and their abilities, goals, and career interests in a work setting.
- To allow students to gain access to knowledge and equipment not available on a college campus.
- To expand students’ awareness of the world beyond the campus by exposure to a variety of careers, disciplines, life styles and environments.
The student application process takes place from mid November through March.
The port supports academic credit when applicable. If the student is eligible for academic credit, the Human Resources Department will work with the academic advisor to ensure credit is given.
Are You Eligible?
Students must have already started and completed two semesters in an undergraduate Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree program with 2020/2021 graduation status preferred. Graduate-level students are not eligible, nor are students who graduate in May 2019
Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 is preferred.
Students may not be related to any current Port Houston employee
Students must either attend a Houston area college/university or have a permanent residence within a commutable distance
Students must be able to work throughout the established twelve-week (12) program dates
How Do I Apply?
- Students are encouraged to submit to multiple areas that are of interest to them. To be considered for the program, applicants must attach a resume and brief statement of interest.
- Each internship opportunity is independent of one another, so students may be contacted by multiple departments. Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills and work experience.
Full time summer internship opportunities generally post between mid-November and late March. We recommend setting up email alerts through the port’s application system to notify you when new positions become available.