Port Houston offers internships in various departments, giving interns a full scope of how a successful institution works. If you want to learn more about what makes Houston grow and gain a hands-on experience in your profession, this opportunity is for you!
To move the world and drive regional prosperity.
America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Respect, Excellence, Accountability. Diligence, You.
Internship Program Goals
- To allow students to apply, evaluate, test and integrate academic knowledge and theoretical concepts in a work setting.
- To encourage students to take a greater responsibility for their education and life, and develop self-reliance, personal style, values and beliefs in a manner consistent with becoming a responsible and productive individual.
- To provide students with experience in the disciplined and discriminatory use of evidence in making decisions and solving problems in a work setting.
- To develop and expand students’ knowledge about themselves and their abilities, goals, and career interests in a work setting.
- To allow students to gain access to knowledge and equipment not available on a college campus.
- To expand students’ awareness of the world beyond the campus by exposure to a variety of careers, disciplines, life styles and environments.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Students are encouraged to submit multiple areas that are of interest to them. To be considered for the program, applicants must attach a resume and brief statement of interest.
- Each internship opportunity is independent of one another, so students may be contacted by multiple departments. Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communications skills and work experience.
Our 2020 summer internship application is now open.
The student application process takes place from mid November through March.
The port supports academic credit when applicable. If the student is eligible for academic credit, the Human Resources Department will work with the academic advisor to ensure credit is given.
- Students must be currently enrolled in and have already completed two semesters in an undergraduate or graduate degree program:
- 2021/2022 graduation status preferred (junior/senior level)
- May 2020 graduates are not eligible, unless already accepted into a graduate program to begin studies Fall 2020
- Students must either attend a Houston area college/university or have residence within a commutable distance
- Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship; a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 is preferred
- Students may not be related to any current Port Houston employee
- Students must be able to work throughout the established twelve-week (12) program dates