COVID-19 Small Business Resources
For a list of small business resources for COVID-19, click here.
- An advantageous position in procurement opportunities and first opportunity at Port Houston small business events.
- Networking & Workshops
- The Inter-agency Mentor Protégé Program (IMPP). The program aims to help small businesses become more self-sustaining by fostering long-term relationships between contractors (mentors) and Port Houston certified small businesses (protégés) as well as those businesses registered with other partnering agencies.
- Port University, a workshop designed for small businesses to learn how to do business with Port Houston while making valuable contacts in various departments, is offered twice a year.
- Construction Safety Program provides a broad knowledge of construction safety principles and systems. This effort is collaboration between U.S. Department of Labor and Port Houston.
- Industry-specific forums held quarterly to pinpoint a small business opportunity within a specific Port Houston department.
Griffin and Strong Port Houston Disparity Study
With a desire to aid local commerce and to promote economic development and job creation, Port Houston has commissioned a disparity study to evaluate equal opportunity and fairness in its procurement and contracting process. Port Houston has partnered with Griffin & Strong, P.C. (Griffin & Strong), a law and public policy consulting firm, to complete this study. Learn more about the disparity study here.
Griffin & Strong is having a virtual public hearing on the Port Houston disparity study June 17. Get details here.
What Companies Are Saying
Hospitality Cleaning Solutions strives to deliver the best cleaning experience to their customers. With their operations covering a lot of different industries, they chose to take part in the port’s small business program to better serve the cleaning demands throughout Houston, and learn more about training and certification opportunities available.
“Port Houston’s Turning Basin facility was one of our first major clients, and we now serve
Barbour’s Cut and Bayport. Getting involved with the port’s small business program has
provided us the connections and training that we needed to grow.”
– Gregory Wyles, owner of Hospitality Cleaning Solutions
Nation Waste, Inc. helps provide strategies for a cleaner environment that can help communities and organizations. NWI was able to grow their business with Port Houston’s Small Business program.
“Becoming a registered small business with Port Houston opens a door for the small
business in a myriad of ways. Through our training and certifications, we feel that we are
on the right path.”
– Maria Rios, president and CEO of Nation Waste, Inc.
Local traffic and highway construction company, Batterson, LLP, has been involved in many historical projects in Houston and they believe the port is an asset to the city. As a partner in the port’s small business program, they have performed concrete construction work at the Turning Basin.
“The various projects at the port that we have done are an extra feather in our cap
because of what it means to our city’s history and the importance that it plays in
the country’s economy. Houston is a city with no limits, and the port is a big part
–Dallas Batterson, Human Resources Director, Batterson, LLP.
R.W. Patrick and Associates was ready to put their customers first when they joined Port Houston’s small business program. Managing engineering and surveying projects of all sizes, their focus is on top customer service. With the port’s small business program, they were able to get the experience and connections they needed to take their business to the next level.
“As one of Port Houston’s woman business enterprises on record, it is wonderful to partner with the individuals we meet at local networking events and conventions in the area.”
– Debbie Patrick Schroeder, R.W. Patrick and Associates, Inc.
Recognition and Awards
Our Partner Agencies
*The Small Business Administration’s participation or support is not an endorsement of any product, service or entity.