Houston is a vibrant, growing, international city fueled by trade, which certainly shows in the port’s trade statistics. Use this page to learn more about the port and its global connections. In-depth statistics are available near the bottom of this page.
- 1st ranked U.S. port in foreign waterborne tonnage
- 3rd ranked U.S. port in terms of total foreign cargo value (based on U.S. Dept of Commerce, Bureau of Census)
- 6th ranked U.S. container port by total TEUs in 2017
- Largest Gulf Coast container port, handling 68% of U.S. Gulf Coast container traffic in 2017
- Largest Texas port with 45% of market share by tonnage and 96% market share in containers by total TEUs in 2017
- 2nd ranked U.S. port in total tonnage
Sources: USACE Navigation Data Center (facts 1,2), JOC PIERS, American Association of Port Authorities (facts 3, 4b, 5), U.S. Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Census, Customs Data from Census Bureau.
Source: Port Houston Accounting and Marketing and External Communications Dept.
Statistical Data in Depth
- Monthly Statistics Overview
- Container Volume by Trade stats (annual)
- Container Volume by Trade stats – Year-Over-Year
- Container Volume by Country stats (annual)
- Container Volume by Commodity stats (annual)
- Annual Summary of Port Houston Cargo Tonnage stats
- Detailed Monthly Container Performance stats
Questions or Comments?
Please email questions and comments about these statistics to the Port’s Marketing and External Communications team at email@example.com.