In 2009, Port Houston brought together stakeholders that included industry professionals, academia, chambers of commerce and economic alliances that could assist in solving the problem of our aging maritime workforce; thus, the Port of Houston Partners in Maritime Education Program was formed. This group of maritime industry leaders, educational institutions, business organizations, and Port Houston took the first step in developing tomorrow’s maritime workforce by creating maritime academy programs in area high schools.
For more information regarding the Port Houston Maritime Education initiative and a copy of the complete Houston Ship Channel Centennial Educator’s Guide, please email email@example.com, or call 713-670-2806.
The Port of Houston Partners in Maritime Education Scholarship
Part of the PHPME’s mission is to support our students in their continued advancement into the maritime industry. One way of supporting them is to provide scholarships to contribute towards their post-secondary education.
The PHPME is proud to announce the 2018 Port of Houston Partners in Maritime Education Collegiate Scholarship Application process is now open and accepting applications. Applications must be postmarked by March 31, 2018. You can apply for the scholarship below.
- Introduce an increasing number of youth to maritime career opportunities in port related industries
- Encourage higher education in the maritime field
- Continue developing partnerships between port employers and education institutions so that relevant education programs continue to be accessible to develop tomorrow’s maritime workforce
- Dual course credits
- Exposure to maritime careers such as U.S. Coast Guard, US Customs & Border Protection, vessel pilot, warehousing and logistics
Maritime Education High Schools
- Dr. Kirk Lewis Technical High School, Pasadena ISD
- Galena Park High School, Galena Park ISD
- Jack Yates High School, Houston ISD
- La Porte High School, La Porte ISD
- North Shore High School, Galena Park ISD
- Stephen F. Austin School for Maritime Studies, Houston ISD
Colleges and Universities
- Houston Community College: Certifications and Associate Degrees in maritime and logistics.
- San Jacinto College: Associate Degrees in Maritime Technology; Maritime training and course work for all professional mariners
- Texas A&M Maritime Academy at Galveston: Major degree programs with professional licensing for maritime professions
- Texas Southern University: Maritime Transportation Management and Security degree program in partnership with Port Houston; Houston’s first university degree program related to maritime transportation and security; first such program at any historically black college and university in the country.