Houston is a vibrant, growing, international city fueled by trade, which certainly shows in the port’s trade statistics. Use this page to learn more about the port and its global connections. In-depth statistics are available near the bottom of this page.
Statistical Highlights for Port Houston
- 7th ranked U.S. container port by total TEUs
- Largest Gulf Coast container port, handling 70% of U.S. Gulf Coast container traffic
- Largest Texas port with 97% market share in containers
Statistical Highlights for the Houston Ship Channel complex
- 1st ranked U.S. port in foreign waterborne tonnage – 193.8 million short tons (2021)
- 1st ranked U.S. port in total foreign and domestic waterborne tonnage – 276 million short tons (2020)
- 3rd ranked U.S. port in terms of total foreign cargo value ($169.7 billion) 2021
- Largest Texas port with 35% of market share by tonnage
Sources: USACE Navigation Data Center (facts 1,2), U.S. Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Census, Customs Data from Census Bureau (fact 3), Journal of Commerce PIERS (facts 4 and 5), American Association of Port Authorities (fact 6).
Statistical Data in Depth
- Monthly Statistics Overview
- Container Volume by Trade stats (annual)
- Container Volume by Trade stats – Year-Over-Year
- Container Volume by Country stats (annual)
- Container Volume by Commodity stats (annual)
- Annual Summary of Port Houston Cargo Tonnage stats
- Detailed Monthly Container Performance stats
Questions or Comments?
Please email questions and comments about these statistics to the port’s commercial division at: email@example.com.