Port Houston’s Community Grants Program is a new initiative focused on investing resources into meaningful projects and programs that enhance our local communities while advancing our mission and vision as a part of the 2020 Strategic Plan.
Congratulations to our 2020 Port Houston Community Grants Recipients! Click the link below for a list of this year’s recipients and their programs.
GRANT SPECIFICS & FOCUSED INITIATIVES
Port Houston’s Community Grants Program offers the opportunity for qualifying organizations to apply for funding through an open, competitive application process.
Port Houston is particularly interested in supporting programs or services that align with our current outreach priorities. These priorities include:
Within these areas, we are particularly interested in funding programs that:
- Scale best practices and proven ideas or pilot promising, evidence-based programs
- Utilize sound evaluation techniques to measure both outcomes and impact
- Demonstrate a commitment to innovation, learning, and adaptation
- Are completed in partnership, cooperation, and consultation with other agencies
- Offer an innovative and promising approach to meeting a community need
- Propose a project or program that falls within Port Houston’s priority zone – proximity to the Houston Ship Channel – permitting Grants Program support to positively impact areas within Port Houston’s stakeholder footprint.
OUR APPLICATION PROCESS
Port Houston’s Community Grants are awarded annually via a two-stage application process. First, eligible applicants submit a Letter of Interest (LOI) outlining their proposed project and requested funding amount.
Those submitting promising letters of interest, that best align with our priorities, will move forward to the second stage of the application process and will be invited to submit a full proposal. If invited to submit a full proposal, funding is not guaranteed. No other grant requests will be considered outside of this process.
This formal application process will be conducted using the Port Houston BuySpeed website. Applicants will be directed to use unique Grants Program code to ensure all applications are captured and processed in one standard and accurate method and submitted to the Grants Committee.
The application period for the 2020 Community Grants Program cycle has closed, but will reopen for our next cycle in the spring of 2021. The Letter of Interest form, for upcoming grant cycles, may be found here:
Letters of Interest (and any additional attachments) will be submitted online through the CommunityGrants@porthouston.com inbox.
DEADLINE AND DECISION DATES
The application period for the 2020 Community Grants Program cycle has closed, but deadlines and decision dates for the 2021 cycle will be posted, once available.
ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES
Port Houston’s Grants Program is designed to embrace the diversity of our communities. We consider grant requests without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, and other similar factors that may be protected by law.
While Port Houston has contributed to many nonprofit organizations in our communities, it is impossible to fund every request. In order to have the most meaningful impact, the Grants Program will focus on supporting projects and programs that closely tie to our outreach priorities.
In order to be considered for Grants Program support, Port Houston requires that an applicant:
- Document its status as a tax-exempt non-profit organization in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service
- Provide evidence of responsible management and an active board of directors or similar governing body, sound fiscal policies, long-range planning, and effective use of volunteers
- Propose a method of evaluating the results of the proposed project or program
- Demonstrate the organization’s capability to execute the proposed project or program
- Produce a budget and a plan for funding the proposed project or program beyond the grant period
LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
Port Houston will not provide grants under circumstances that are not permitted by or conflict with applicable law or Port Houston policies or budgetary considerations.
Port Houston will not provide grants to the following:
- Applicants that are not tax-exempt non-profit organizations in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service
- For-profit entities
- Labor, sectarian, fraternal, military, or professional associations
- Sports and athletic groups
- Charitable or endowment campaigns
- Political action committees, candidates, or lobbyists
Port Houston’s grants do not automatically renew. Whether receiving current or previous support from Port Houston, in order to obtain new support beyond the term of a grant, an organization must submit a new application and qualify for new support.
ONLINE PUBLIC WORKSHOPS
2021 Grants Workshops – dates TBD
To stay up-to-date regarding news about Port Houston and future funding opportunities, please subscribe to our newsletter here.
Please email us at CommunityGrants@porthouston.com should you have any additional questions regarding the Community Grant Program.